Name of the Project: INTEGRATED TRIBAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Funding Agency: NABARD
Project Period: 7 years. Started on 29th January 2015.
This project is being carried out at 20 villages of Torpa block in Khunti district of Jharkhand which is approximately 50Kms. from the state capital i.e. Ranchi.
Orchard Based Livelihood Programme(Wadi Project)
Under the sponsorship of NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture & Rural Development), BIRVA initiated this project in January 2015. It aims at upliftment of the poor tribal communities through adoption of Wadi project integrated with intercropping, non-farm activities (like Piggery, Goatery etc), women and landless development for sustainable promotion of their livelihoods. The project envisages upliftment of 1000 tribal families from 20 revenue villages over a period of 7 years. For each identified tribal family, one acre of land will be taken up for developing an orchard (wadi).
The major components of the programme are as follows:
- Horticulture Plantation
- Soil conservation
- Water resources development
- Training/ capacity building
- Health/ sanitation
- Women Development
- Micro enterprises for landless participants
For smooth implementation of the program we have formed a strategy to run this program through people's organisation. In this people's organisation, we have formed a group of farmers for whom the Wadi is proposed. Among these groups of farmers a President has been elected amongst them who will look in to all the matters of the committee. This Apex (P.O.) will work on its own and the decisions will be made by them only. This is an innovative approach which we have introduced as the activities under the project will be carried out by the villagers on their own after the project gets over.
Progress So Far:
- Plantation of all 900 WADIs are completed.
- Wadi Mandli formed = 34
- Representatives of 23 NGOs (implementing TDF projects) visited Torpa WADI Programme & appreciated the work
- SHG’s formed = 27
- Watermilon Cultivation initiated with 250 Farmers & they are getting income by selling the product.
- Under health and sanitation,2 eye camps have been organised.
- Under microenterprises activity, 3 farmers have been started fisheries in their ponds.
- NPM also introduced to farmers for organic cultivation of crops & vegetables.
- Convergence with Agriculture Universities, Agriculture Departments, Soil Conservation Department and other development agencies had been fruitful for the project beneficiaries.23 Greaves pumpset 1.9HP,3 haoehetan pumpset 10 HP & 970 delivery pipes (L-20ft) have been provided to farmers. 3 solar pump sets & 2 generator operated deep boring 3 Sprinkler,50 Vijay Villiers Pumping Set, 4 Honda Pumping Set, 10 Konobeeder, 3 Qtl. Mustard seed, 5 Qtl. Urad seed established with convergance of soil conservation department, Khunti.
- Farmer training program organised at ICAR, Plandu& R.K. Mission, Ranchi.Total 800 farmers were provided training for improved Agriculture & Wadi etc.
- As demanded by farmers WADI model has been revised by NABARD as 40 Mango & 72 Guava (earlier it was 30 & 82)
- Mr. G.G. Sohani President BAIF visited WADI Project dated 06/10/17
- Mr. P.C. Raven Dy G.M. N.S.F.D.G, New Delhi, Visited WADI Project dated 01/11/17
- 2 days Training programme on Goat Rearing( For Microenterprises)has been conducted in Khunti for dated 30/10/17 & 31/10/17.
- Fruiting in phase 1 WADIs are started